Windlands was possibly our favourite experience for the Oculus Rift DK1.
It mixed Spiderman-like rope swinging with death-defying first-person platforming to make for one heck of an experience, and ever since those early days of pixelated DK1 gaming the team behind the game has continued to work tirelessly to improve the core experience, level design and graphics. Finally, after what seems like an eternity, the full game has been unleashed on Steam Early Access with 20% the asking price.
For those with any interest in first-person platforming it’s definitely worth checking out. We’ll bring you a full review soon, but be assured that the $14.99/£11.99 price includes bags of gameplay and a uniquely challenging game that feels perfectly at home on the Oculus Rift (HTC Vive support is also supported). Using two grappling hooks that attach onto foliage and wooden surface, you’re able to leap, swing and climb around the vast environments of a ruined civilization. It’s tense gameplay with plenty of vertigo, but the challenge of climbing vast towers and structures is both fun and rewarding.
Here’s a quick round-up of Windlands core features:
- Virtual Reality First.
- Grappling Hooks Focused Movement.
- Variety of expansive levels that reward exploration.
- Multiple routes provide a range of optional challenges.
- Skill based, Speed Runs and Time Trials.
- Goal Driven Gameplay.
- Collectibles that reward exploration and completionism.
- Calm, Positive, Pressure-Free, Non-Violent, Zen like relaxing play.
- Unlock hidden areas and discover the many secrets. Create new paths and bring life back to the shattered world.