Classic shooter comes to life on the consumer Rift headset.
Playing retro first-person shooters might not be the first thing that comes to mind when you think of VR gaming, but nevertheless it’s still an exhilarating and fun experience; and now, with GZ3Doom you can play the classic Doom games on the Oculus Rift.
We’ve already played these classic shooters on both the DK1 and DK2 headsets, but now those lucky gamers with a CV headset can join in on the action with the 1.8.10 release which adds Oculus Runtime 1.3 support. At the time of writing there are a few bugs, one of which sees random white squares briefly appear during gameplay, and another which sees very small pieces of level geometry become transparent, but if you’re a fan of classic FPS gaming then we would definitely recommend checking GZ3Doom out.
To play GZ3Doom in Oculus Rift mode:
- Install Oculus Runtime 1.3
- Install recent display driver version
- Install GZ3Doom (run the .exe below)
- Obtain a .WAD file for the game you want to play (more information here), and place the .WAD file in the same folder you installed GZ3Doom to.
- Turn on your Oculus Rift
- Test the Oculus Rift Home scene in the Oculus Rift to make sure your Rift functions
- Launch GZ3Doom using Start Menu->Programs->GZ3Doom->”GZ3Doom on Oculus Rift” shortcut.
- (alternatively) type “vr_mode 8” in the gz3doom console.
- (Optional) Configure a wireless controller using (Doom Menu)->Options->Configure Controls, and play standing up. Consider configuring turning controls using the “snap 45 left” and “snap 45 right” controls, for increased comfort.
- Report problems at https://github.com/cmbruns/gz3doom/issues
- Discuss this release on reddit
- Advance to new Oculus SDK version 1.3.0
- NOTE: Oculus Rift DK1 no longer works as of SDK 1.3.0
- Avoid judder by setting vid_vsync to FALSE as a side effect of oculardium_optimosa command
You can download GZ3 Doom by heading over to its GitHub page here. For more information on how the game plays in virtual reality, click here for our hands-on with Doom on the Oculus Rift DK2 headset.